Wednesday 21 September 2011

The boat dive that didn't happen


0600 alarm is buzzing and the calendar on my mobile is alerting me that I have to be on the Marfa jetty at 0900, but I'm too sleepy, last night I arrived late after I joined my parents to a wedding of a second cousin - seriously I'm sleepy. The notion of having to set up my kit is making me nauseous.  On the other hand I haven't done a nice calm dive in weeks, 0630 I'm up, I put the kettle on and feed Will and Grace.


Will & Grace 1st day after adoption
29th May 2004
Will and Grace, are my kids well actually pets but they prefer the term kids, I adopted them from a sanctuary 7 years ago.  I pock my head out on the balcony while the water is boiling and check out the sea and the white foamy horses ... hmmm ... so last night’s force 7 wind hasn't really died down after all. I remember how my teeth where chattering in the gardens of the wedding venue that was at none other than at Dingli one if the highest locations in Malta. Brrr
Coffee ready, Will & Grace happy, I go to my little workshop and start to assemble my rebreather. At the back of my mind I'm thinking of the wind and imagining the strength of the waves while the Luzzu crosses the channel between Malta and our sister island Gozo on the way to Fessej Rock one of my all time favourite reef dives.  I go green at the thought ...
Nevertheless I pursue and continue setting up, I run my checklist from memory as my copy is at a buddy, I make a mental note to print another one. A checklist in my head isn't really a checklist, come to think of it I have one on my smartphone ... that wasn't at all practical to use.  Now if there was an app that read out the checklist as you went along, that I would be happy to download and use....even pay for!
Rebreather set up I'm about to start running my tests when my mobile rings ... its 0700 and Mario the boat dive organizer is calling. The dive is called off, sea is so rough it is washing onto the jetty at Marfa ... I'm not entirely displeased to hear this. I go back to finishing the tests on the unit, pointless leaving the task unfinished, this could also be a huge mistake when next time I go diving I think that the tests where finished and complete.
How shall I spend my morning, I finish my coffee and wonder off to bed to write this blog, SMS mum to tell her I'm not diving and grab my Games of Thrones ... A Clash of Kings ... With my window ajar I can hear the sea crashing onto the shore .... Bliss 


Author of Games of Thrones - http://georgerrmartin.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment